Monday, December 5, 2011

The Woodmen and Gardeners, 2002 - Andrew Festing


I chose this picture because I thought it was really different from most of the other pictures we saw in class. What I really liked about this picture was the colors used and the way everything was painted. I think that the oil on canvas brought out the scenery and it almost made the picture look very life-like.What I also found interesting about this picture was that the Earl of Leicester initiated portraits of employees in modern times, which is why Andrew Festing painted his staff on his Holkham Hall estate in Norfolk. I liked how the portrait was of his employees because I thought that it was very different than just a picture of an average or famous person. I also liked how this portrait "depicts [the] outdoorsmen in their working environment, striking casual poses, dressed in their workers' garb."

No comments:

Post a Comment